How it went

In one hour, Nutella will be picking Curly up from his second school of the day, and his first week will be over. And you know what…it was completely drama-free. A little bit of a logistical hassle, but Curly took it all in stride. Hopefully this will continue!

He started his first day at the Montessori school on Wednesday morning. Nutella and I were both there to see him off, and we all had to wait around a bit until the teachers finally came out and lined their students up. We stood with Curly until the teacher brought him to the front of the line and had a 5 year old hold his hand while they all walked to the classroom. There were no tears and he seemed fine. We walked out thinking it had been too easy and braced ourselves for the afternoon pick-up, which I did myself (I took off this whole week for a much-needed mental break from work). I was there early and he came out just as fine as can be, told me a couple random bits about his day and happily ate the snack I had for him in the car. He even told me he used the potty all by himself. His second school, the one he’s been at all along, was closed that day, so I brought him home for lunch and nap.

Thursday was the first day of our “new normal”- Montessori in the morning with a midday pick-up and transfer to the second school. Nutella dropped him off in the morning with no issues, and I picked him and our neighbors’ son up in the afternoon. We’re splitting the afternoon pick-ups every other week with our neighbors to help lighten the load, since their son is at both schools with Curly…same plan as us. With a little boy holding each of my hands, I took them both to the car, buckled them into their car seats, gave them each a snack, and then headed to the second school while they chatted away with me and each other. They both told me they used the potty by themselves at school. Thrilling! They arrived at the second school just in time to wash their hands and sit down to lunch, before nap time. It’s really a perfect set-up.

Today was very much the same thing. I’m honestly shocked at how well this first week went. I’m sure there will be some sort of hiccup in the future, but it’s off to a very auspicious start, thank goodness.

First day of preschool!

9 responses to “How it went

  1. Yay! Glad he’s adjusting so well. He looks like such a big kid!

  2. Sounds great! It’s nice that he has a friend going to both schools with him (particularly the new one). Some kids adjust really well –sounds like you’re lucky to have one of those kids!

  3. I’m glad you all got off to a good start. Fingers crossed that it keeps up this way!

    Oh, and Curly is just so cute!

  4. Hooray! Glad the first few days have gone so terrifically!

    Also–the image of you holding the hands of each boy and strapping them into the carseats made me think that you are essentially experiencing what it is like to have twins during those half hour pick ups/drops off each day!

  5. He’s adorable! Congrats on such an awesome first week!!

  6. I’m thrilled it’s going so well!

  7. Wow he is just precious! So happy to hear things are going well! It is so hard to guess going into it how it will be. Fingers crossed things continue just as swimmingly!

  8. What a big guy! So great that all is starting off so well!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s